Darwin Community Legal Service
DCLS is a free, confidential service. We assist disadvantaged members of the community to protect their legal rights. We work towards a community where everyone has access to legal advice and support. We seek to challenge unjust laws and procedures, and to ensure that people are aware of their legal rights.
General Legal Service
The General Legal Service can provide free legal information and advice on most non-criminal matters including:
- credit and debt
- social security (Centrelink) rights
Tenants’ Advice Service
Provides information, advice, advocacy and support for tenants on all tenancy and related legal issues.
The TAS works to:
- Advise you on problems you are having with your landlord or real estate agent.
- Negotiate and advocate on your behalf with your landlord or real estate agent.
- Assist you with advice, documentation and in some cases representation before the Norther Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT).
- Talk to your community group or organisation about tenants’ rights
- Undertake activities to improve legislation and policies for residential tenants in the Northern Territory
Seniors and Disability Rights Service
The Seniors and Disability Rights Service is based in Darwin and regularly visits Katherine, Nhulunbuy and other locations across the Top End of the NT as required.
The Seniors and Disability Rights Service assists older people or people with disabilities and their representatives who:
- want to know about their rights and how to obtain them
- receive Commonwealth funded aged care services in residential facilities
We also provide:
- community awareness and education activities
- systemic advocacy, policy and law reform work
- NDIS planning and appeals support
- information, education and referrals through our Elder Abuse Information Line (1800 037 072)
Katherine Women’s Information & Legal Service (KWILS)
Katherine Women’s Information & Legal Service (KWILS) is a not-for-profit Community Legal Centre based in Katherine, Northern Territory. We are a specialist women’s legal service providing all women, and those who identify as women, in Katherine and the Big Rivers Region access to free and professional legal and support services, with a particular focus on the reduction of domestic, family and sexual violence. We also provide community legal education and undertake advocacy and law reform work in areas that improve gender equity and address gendered violence.
KWILS aims to ensure that all women in the Katherine region have access to free legal advice and representation in the following areas:
- Domestic, Family and Personal Violence
- Child protection
- Family Law
- Discrimination (age, sex, race, gender etc)
- Employment (including sexual harassment)
- Government complaints (including the conduct of Police, Corrections & Education)
- Health Care Complaints Commission (including the conduct of Health Care, Aged Care and Disability Care Providers)
- Coronial Inquests
- Tenancy Law (public and private tenancies)
- Social Security/Centrelink
- Consumer law (Credit & Debts)
- Victims of Crime and Motor Accidents Compensation
NTLAC Legal Advice
You can get free legal advice for most problems by making an appointment to see a lawyer at your nearest Legal Aid office.
Your nearest Legal Aid office runs clinics in family law, criminal law and civil law matters.
You need to make an appointment to get legal advice.
Call the Legal Aid Helpline on 1800 019 343. The Helpline operator will talk about what type of problem you need help with and connect you to the correct office at Legal Aid to make an appointment.
You can get legal advice over the phone if you have a disability, live in a remote area, or are unable to get to an office in person.
- Child Protection
- Community Education & Engagement
- Crime & Victims Counselling
- Domestic Violence Legal Services
- Employment Support
- Family Dispute Resolution
- Immigration & Visa Support
- Indigenous Legal Services
- Legal Advocacy
- Legal Assistance
- Senior & Disability Rights
- Tenancy Advice
- Victims of Crime
- Women’s Legal Services
- Youth Diversion