Senior & Disability Rights
Carpentaria Independent Living Program
Carpentaria’s Independent Living program provides person-centred support and accommodation to enable people with a disability to access and enjoy a safe, comfortable and fulfilling life in their home and in the community.
Short term, medium term and long term accommodation options are available.
Darwin Community Legal Service
DCLS is a free, confidential service. We assist disadvantaged members of the community to protect their legal rights. We work towards a community where everyone has access to legal advice and support. We seek to challenge unjust laws and procedures, and to ensure that people are aware of their legal rights.
General Legal Service
The General Legal Service can provide free legal information and advice on most non-criminal matters including:
- credit and debt
- social security (Centrelink) rights
Tenants’ Advice Service
Provides information, advice, advocacy and support for tenants on all tenancy and related legal issues.
The TAS works to:
- Advise you on problems you are having with your landlord or real estate agent.
- Negotiate and advocate on your behalf with your landlord or real estate agent.
- Assist you with advice, documentation and in some cases representation before the Norther Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT).
- Talk to your community group or organisation about tenants’ rights
- Undertake activities to improve legislation and policies for residential tenants in the Northern Territory
Seniors and Disability Rights Service
The Seniors and Disability Rights Service is based in Darwin and regularly visits Katherine, Nhulunbuy and other locations across the Top End of the NT as required.
The Seniors and Disability Rights Service assists older people or people with disabilities and their representatives who:
- want to know about their rights and how to obtain them
- receive Commonwealth funded aged care services in residential facilities
We also provide:
- community awareness and education activities
- systemic advocacy, policy and law reform work
- NDIS planning and appeals support
- information, education and referrals through our Elder Abuse Information Line (1800 037 072)
Disability services and Support Organisations
Blue Wing’s mission is to empower and enable individuals and families so they have room to breathe and feel relief. We are aware of all the daily challenges and fears you overcome, based on our own experiences. Our staff respect each client and know that every disability is not the same. All of us struggle with very different circumstances and situations. We don’t want you feeling isolated or going through depression alone. Our staff will be there for drop-in supports for you to maintain living in your ideal lifestyle. We will help you get the equipment you might not even know you need or have access to and help you engage with the community. You will also be helped with maintaining a healthy physical and mental lifestyle.
TK Community Care Services
Here at TK Community Care, we are a, passionate, community-focused organisation that places client needs at the heart of our operations. We support clients from all backgrounds with a range of needs, including participants of the National Disability Insurance Scheme. Our Team is highly trained and dedicated to helping you create greater freedom and control over your support needs. We can provide specialised services those with physical and/or psychosocial disability. We offer Support Coordination, Psychosocial Recovery Coaching, Short-term Accommodation (STA), Supported Independent Living (SIL), Respite, In-home Support/s, Assistance with Development of Daily Life and Living Skills, Participation in Community, Social, and Civic Activities, Assistance with Travel and Transport, and other services. We are an NDIS registered provider and pride ourselves on delivering quality and individualised services. We are available Monday-Friday from 8:00am until 4:30pm. Our accommodation services run 24/7, please enquire for more information about our accommodation services. We now offer Support Coordination and Psychosocial Recovery Coaching.
- Child Protection
- Community Education & Engagement
- Crime & Victims Counselling
- Domestic Violence Legal Services
- Employment Support
- Family Dispute Resolution
- Immigration & Visa Support
- Indigenous Legal Services
- Legal Advocacy
- Legal Assistance
- Senior & Disability Rights
- Tenancy Advice
- Victims of Crime
- Women’s Legal Services
- Youth Diversion